|A History of Glore
Offered by: Glore Psychiatric Museum
The original ‘State Lunatic Asylum No. 2’ opened in November of 1874 with 25 patients on land located east of the City of St. Joseph. The Glore Psychiatric Museum has been recognized as “One of the 50 most unusual museums in the country.” It is one of only a handful of museums dedicated to the history of the treatment of the mentally ill. In 1968, George Glore, an employee of the St. Joseph State Hospital, helped construct a series of full-size replicas of primitive 16th, 17th, and 18th century treatment devices for a Mental Health Awareness Week open house. Those exhibits became the foundation for the Glore Psychiatric Museum. The museum has been in operation ever since, and is now part of the St. Joseph Museums, Inc., Museum Complex.